Re: [DML] RHD conversion

Hi Nick

We have had one of the Wooler-Hodec right handers in with us for several
months for a large amount of work. We've see first hand quite how much
work went into the conversion. So here goes:

Steering Rack. Custom made
Pedal Box, again, custom made to resemble the mirror of the
left-handers, but narrower and with a different linkage on the pedals to
place the brake master and clutch master where they fit
Brake master cylinder. Is _NOT_ in the middle. Some of the Wooler cars
had a long attachment bar and the MC located in the front right hand
corner behind the rad. The one we have at the moment has two remote
brake servos and the MC directly on the pedal.
Because of the brake master, you have to move the AC accumulator to the
left side of the car and attachments made to the hoses to be able to
rotate the fittings by 180 degrees.
Custom floor plan under the bonnet to allow the spare wheel to be
shifted to the left to allow space for the brake servo, mounted to the
inside of the right front shock tower. This makes fuel pump access more
difficult.
All the knee pads must be custom made (don't think the pass side one can
be spun over - they have a slight curver to the lower edge), so too the
dashboard which has to be cut up into 5 pieces and then recovered with
original heat-shrink vinyl. The glovebox must now have a hole cut for it
on the left and the original mount fot he light gets in the way. All
knee pad and binnacle mounts must be made.
The hole for the steering column must be plugged on the left. Speedo
cable must be extended from the left and you must find a home for the
lambda counter box
The wiring loom must be spun over right to left EXCEPT for door pin
switches.
The heater matrix must be turned around and mounted on the left, making
new holes for the ac drain, and cutting a new vent in under the
windscreen and filling in the old one. The mechanism for the vent flaps
will be butt up against the back of the stereo and there'll be a yawning
gap behind it.
Wipers have to be moved and mounted with new arms and a motor that
rotates the other way (no it's not okay to plug it in backwards, you
need the crank to move the other way)
Handbrake must be moved, and now the cables will get in the way of the
battery.
The carpete are now wrong, with holes cut on the left for pedals, and
rubber inserts for the driver's feet.
And after all this, your elbow will be constantly bruised by the
ashtray, the pedals are offset to the right and reverse is a bugger to
get into with one hand....

Martin
DMUK
www.delorean.co.uk