[DML] Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car

[DML] Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car

I've seen this car come up from time to time here on the list, and in other publications.
And I can tell you now, this car is going to be a nightmare for Volvo on many fronts.

I'd feel safer in a Jeep with no doors, than riding around in this thing. All the prototypes
keep using single striker pins on the bottom, and none have safety latches/catches on the
doors to prevent opening durring an impact (you'll see these on Chevy Beretta upper B
pillars, and simular models This design will allow the door to fly open (like Chrysler
minivan hatches did when impacted), or worse yet, allow the occupant to shift part, or all
off thier head or shoulder out of the open door jam before the door rebounds back into
place. So now you can see the real safety advantage of having 2 striker pins on the
DeLorean.

The other problem that Volvo is going to run into will be a huge one with their publicity.
Dumbing down a car's features, and limiting it's repairs to only "certified mechanics"
because of women is not a good idea. It basicly sends the message that since women don't
work on cars, they don't need to be able to repair their own. And the features themselves
are quite suspect as well. Don't be surprised if many feminists groups take exception, and
vocalize their opposition to Volvo over this one. This kind of marketing didn't work well
for Nissan and their X-Terra campaign in "urban" markets, and this kind of "Lifestyle
Engineering" approach ruined the Pontiac Aztec. For a prototype car that Volvo may be
looking to bring to market, they're hardly off to a good start.

If you want to build a car, seperate prospects by age groups, intended enviornment, and
income. NOT by gender and lifestyle.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"