[DML] Re: How To Secure DeLorean Properly on Trailer

[DML] Re: How To Secure DeLorean Properly on Trailer

I have an enclosed trailer so I back it in to keep the heavyist part
toward the front of the trailer. I find the weight distribution
better. I cross the rear straps and attach to the "eyes" on the rear
under the motor. For the front I do them straight and use recovery
hooks to the frame. If you are using an open trailer you cannot tow
with it facing rear because the rear sunshade will "catch air". You
can put it on facing foward or remove the rear sunshade, or cover it
so it can't catch air. In any case you must place it on the trailer
properly so you have enough tongue weight so you don't get a lot of
sway. Putting it on facing foward you may have to move it way up
because most of the weight of a Delorean is in the rear. This becomes
especally noticable if you don't have a weight equalizing hitch with
sway control. I also recomend leaving it in neutral if it is an
automatic or a 5-speed with the parking brake off. The straps should
be capable of holding the car under all circumtances. Just be sure
that the anchors you attach to are strong enough to hold the car under
all conditions. You should check the straps often for the first miles
until everything streches and settles in. Same for the trailer tire
pressures, and lug nuts. Carry extra bulbs for the trailer and check
all the grounds, the safety chains, and lights every time you stop. A
cover will keep everyone from gawking. One of those non-contact
infra-red thermometers are great for monitoring the trailer tires and
brakes, and bearings.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "R... V.W." <phaedradolly@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I Just bought a trailer for my DeLorean and I am interested in
driviing from California to Tennessee with it to attend the DeLorean
Car Show. I would like some great suggestions in securing the D. on
the bed right. It is an open trailer.