[DML] Re: The battle:Frame rust

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration when you
are refurbishing your Delorean frame including driving climate
(dry, temperate, snowy/salty winter roads, etc.), how often you
plan on driving the car, where you park and/or store the car,
money you have to spend and the type of finish you want on it.
Body on or body off refurbishing will also make a difference.

Delorean Welding Center prefers to paint (coat) all bare steel
on the frame with POR15, in either black or gray.  Since POR15
is not UV stable, it's best to paint over the POR15 treatment
with a good quality paint.  DWC will also powder coat or custom
paint refurbished frames and suspension parts (made to order)
and all finishes have had great results in all climates.

Keep in mind that prepping the surface correctly will yield the
best results, with whatever product you choose to use.  Even
POR15 can be applied wrong, yielding poor performance results,
so make sure everything you refurbish is cleaned very well.

Body off frame refurbishing allows you to get to almost all
the frame surfaces, except some boxed in sections and this
allows you to do a complete job on the entire frame all at once.
This is not always an option, so do what you can, when you can.

If you need other specific recommendations for you refurbishing,
feel free to contact me off-list.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "TalksToGod" <5n-@xxxx> wrote:
> It seems no matter how many times I fix my frame-the area I fix
will
> start to rust again in no time. I've used numerous primers, paints,
> rust converters (which are a joke), undercoatings, I've even seen
> spray epoxy but have not yet tried that stuff (I guess how it
failed
> initially on the DeLorean frame keeps me from trying it). Does
anybody
> know the best way to preserve the bare metal and keep it from
rusting
> for a legnth of years instead of a legnth of weeks? Perhaps the
DWC can