Re: [DML] Inaccurate RADAR readings?

Stainless steel or not.   Radar or not.   The DeLorean looks fast standing
still!   Now about radar and an officer's "judgment call" on the matter?   I
have a story to share with you.   It is long.

FYI.   All speedometers are not accurate and the DeLorean speedos are not
accurate.   Have you gotten your speedometer check for accuracy?   I did and my
speedo was off about 8 miles so the calibrator at the shop told me.   The
reason for my speedo re-calibration?   Last year in February 2, 2003 I gotten a
speeding ticket, the New York State Trooper claimed that I was doing over 80 MPH
in 55MPH zone.   Truthfully, I was doing 68 MPH on my speedo and keeping up
with traffic.   Okay I was speeding so I bit the bullet and accepted the ticket.
  I was puzzled at officer's statement that I was "doing 80 MPH" so took my
speedo off and I went to the palace were PJ Grady goes to for his speedo
calibrations.   In short, I went to court with the billing statement as the proof of
my speedo calibration for accuracy; it helped me beat that speeding ticket.

Now unfortunately, I gotten another ticket last June 19, 2003, and my trail
is coming up on April 2, 2004.   For this ticket, the New York City "Highway
Patrol" officer claims that he "got me on radar for over 70 miles on a 45 miles
speed zone (Harlem River Drive)."   He also claims "he SHADOWED me for a 1/4
mile and got me on video and audio."   Frankly, the officer is a blatant liar.
 Okay you law enforcement agents on this DML, don't get flamed on my
labeling, I will offer my side of the story and you decide.   As in the first case,
when I am wrong, I will admit that I wrong and I know this time I wasn't.

Anyway, I believed that he originally had stopped me to ticket my wife for
not wearing seat belt (NYC and the nation had a seat belt ticketing blitz
campaign last year) and when the officer realize that she has the seat belt on, he
quickly change his story to pulling me over because I was "speeding above 70
miles."

Speeding at 70 miles my wife and I said to each other?   He got to be out of
his mind.

First fact, there were two if not one car that was ahead of me that were sped
past me doing over 50 plus MPH.

Second, it just had finish thunder storming with heavy rain an hour before
and it had flooded the "Drive" and any intended speeding or driving fast is not
possible for DeLorean, for the wide tires will "hydroplane" and it would be
suicidal.   (I will get an official weather report for that day and time to show
as proof.)

Third, I was doing 43 to 45 MPH when the officer and I saw each other.   I
saw him on the side of the road long before he saw me. Anyway, he decided to
come after me with lights, siren and with audio on as to pull me over; to which I
did stop in less then 800 feet, so he really didn't "shadowed me for 1/4 of a
mile" as he claims.   I even went back there to video the areas of the
flooding and the spot where he was sitting and to the area where we both had pulled
over and stopped, to show as evidence, if the court will allow it.

Fourth, he claims that he got me on radar, which he did show me at the patrol
car, with the unit reading "71 MPH."   I believe that he did not "zero" to
clear his unit from an earlier incident.   I would had know that he had radar me
on, for my Valentine One had never triggered off, to verified his claim that
he had radar trained on me.    The other issue is that I travel this same
Harlem River Drive almost every day, 7 days a week, to work and back home and I am
aware of the NYPD "Highway Patrol Car" sitting on the very same spot daily,
from the early morning to 5:30 PM.   So, when I am entering the Drive either
north or south bound, my radar would be "blaring" off, which is over 1/2 mile
away to let me know that the "local boys" are monitoring the roads.

Anyway, there were dialogue that went between us before and after the issuing
of the ticket and basically the officer didn't want to hear anything that I
had to say.   The officer as far as I can put it mildly, is that he had a bad
hair day and I became a victim of his personal nonsense with the speeding
ticket that he had issued.   I believe he is just trying to get over with his bogus
claim and I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE TAPE THAT RECORDED THE EVENT FROM HIS
PATROL CAR, THAT HE CLAIMS HE HAS ON ME.   My lawyer has written for a deposition
requesting for the tape and that was over two months ago.   No responses to
date.   The sad thing is, in NYC as the systems goes, they don't have to produce
the tape and that the officers claim is enough to stand trail.

Oh yes, BTW .... When I told the officer that "I can't even go over 25 MPH in
the flooded areas back there, because there is over 7 inches of water."   His
response was that "YOUR CAR IS RACING CAR AND IT CAN DO ANYTHING!"   With a
remark such as that, my wife and I just laugh and smirked.   I can see why NYPD
wants their officers to have at least a four-year college degree or better.

So, off to court I go.....

Maybe, I will drive my old Bentley more often instead of my DeLorean, for I
get less stoppage in the Bentley, for I gotten only 2 tickets for the last 32
years, then 3 in the DeLorean in the 8 years of driving.   I guess it must be
the difference in the command and the respect of the two marques.   Like I said
"The DeLorean cars looks fast standing still" very enticing for speed
tickets.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY