[DML] Re: D that has been sitting for years...

[DML] Re: D that has been sitting for years...

I'm on the process of a similar restoration project (last driven
1985, last run 1992, 15K miles etc) the main difference being that
they did NOT drain the systems. I plan to do some more complete
documentation on this project later (at this point it keeps me pretty
busy) but I'll bet you run into a lot of the same issues.

Since your guy drained the tank that may be OK (did he drain it DRY
or just with a hose?), but unless he actually blew the lines and fuel
system dry, you are still likely to have a frozen fuel pump,
distributor and injectors. A good quick check is to unhook a fuel
line in the engine compartment. If you smell paint thinner rather
than gasoline, that's the smell of gas gone Very Bad.

On this car, I've replaced the entire fuel system including the gas
tank, only  thing salvaged is 3 injectors. It sounds like you will
avoid many of the hydraulic issues I had (everything - brakes,
clutch etc) but some of it will be there. I also had the throwout
bearing frozen to the transmission.

It was pretty wierd getting into this car and having all 3 pedals be
stuck. The car was stored indoors since 1984, but it was obviously
not in a completly dry environment.

The other thing to ask is about the cooling system. If he only drained
it by disconnecting the radiator, this left the engine block and most
of the lines half-full of coolant. This is almost worse than empty as
the coolant gets corrosive in air.

The only thing that made this project even feasible is that the owner
bought a complete second car that had been rolled in a serious
accident. The donor car was "fresh" i.e. everything mechanical on it
was in good shape and running not very long ago, but all the
stainless was bent,the fiberglass tub was un-salvegeable (broken in
many places), and the frame was broken and twisted.  We're still
probably spending close to $2000 in parts over and above the parts
car. Don't ask about the labor (me) yet.......

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Garrett Rudkin" <agentprelude@xxxx>