[DML] Re: SNAP!

Rich - As you have now seen, a rusty TAB can be a bad thing when left
to its own devices.  I'm glad nothing got damaged, and I hope that
your back heals okay.  In regards to the alignment shims, about all
that you can do is obtain 4 or 5 shims from a DeLorean vendor.  It is
very important that the shims be thick and hardened, or the joint
will eventually loosen and fail again as the shims deteriorate.  This
discussion was on the List a short time ago.  Alignment shops use
very thin shims that are soft, and will eventually migrate out of the
joint.  Regardless of what type of bolt you have in there, it will
eventually fail if you don't have the proper torque preload in the
joint.  As far as garages doing the work, I wouldn't say that *any*
garage can do it.  I have taken calls from some shops asking me where
to start when replacing the TAB's.  They didn't seem to have a clue
what the theory of that joint was.  There are definitely some tricks
and tips that make it a better installation.  You may want to
consider buying a new rubber bushing to have on hand when the
installation is done.  You may find that the bushing has been toasted
by the corrosion and the final failure.  We have the shims and
bushing in stock, but are still working on the next batch of TOBY-
TAB's, so I can't help you there (for right now).  Good luck with the
repairs.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest
www.delorean-parts.com