[DML] Re: freeze 12

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard" <dmc_driver@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Here's another one: http://www.duracool.com/-faq.html

This is a Hydrocarbon based refrigerant, like I mentioned earlier. HC based refrigerants
have greater cooling capacity than CFC (R-12) & HFC (R-143a), and have 0 environmental
impact acccording to studies. HC chains will break apart rather quickly when vented into
the atmosphere, so they will not break Ozone chains, nor are they a green house gas that
contributes to global warming (which R-134a is worse than R-12 at). BUT due to their
"flamability", they have been deemed unacceptable for use as a refrigerant.

HC-12 has a higher auto ignition point (heating the gas up to that temperature, before it
will combust, without the asistance of an open flame) than R-134a, and lab tests, and field
tests applications have show HC-12 to be safe so far. BUT, when atomizing (spraying in a
gaseous form) HC-12 twards on an open flame, it will catch fire, where as R-12 & R-134a
will not. And that is why HC based refrigerants are not accceptable.

Can you legally use Duracool, and other HC based refrigereants in your car? Yes, but there
are restrictions. What are the restrictions? HC-12 may ONLY be used in a system designed
to be used with R-134a! R-12 designed systems are illegal (why, I've no idea...). But, hope
is not lost, as there is a way to legally install HC-12.

You must fully convert your existing R-12 system over to R-134a type system with the
"intention" of running R-134a. Simply heading down to CSK and picking up that $40
retrofit kit, and shoving in HC-12 is ILLEGAL! 5 main requirements must be met: You must
evacuate the entire system of R-12, and mineral oil (which means changing out the
accumulator as well), installing a lubricant other than what came with the R-12 (because
R-134a doesn't use it WTF?) the installation of a compressor cut-off switch (which we
already have), the proper labeling for the system (doesn't specify if R-134a, or HC-12
must be used), and R-134a service fittings on the compressor MUST be permanently
attached. These are the requirements for a full conversion to R-134a, but there is a fuzzy
area here if you want to use Duracool, or another HC-12 refrgerant"

If you straight drop Duracool into the system at this point, then you didn't reeally intend to
convert the system over to run with R-134a, hence the conversion is considered a SHAM,
and is voided, hence illegal. Even though it does indeeed function as a complete R-134a
system. How the ACLU missed this one, I'll never know. This is the only time I've ever seen
a federal law come with a "thought crime" statute...

Aside from EPA regulations, there are certain state regulations that totally prohibit the use
of Hydrocarbon refrigerants no matter what. And the EPA also warns that storage of HC
-12 may fall underal local regulations. Although I can't possibly imagine how much
different this could possibly be as comparted to Oxygen and Acetylene which are flamable
as well.

Anywho, no matter what you use, just be aware that just because an alternative refrigerant
is fully compatable with you existing system, doesn't mean that you can just dump it in.

And federal regulations aside, if your A/C system is failing after 20 years, or if you're
considering switching refrigerants for any reason, they you really do need to consider a
good systems rebuild anyways.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"