Re: [DML] Re: Michelin Pilot Tire Pressures

Re: [DML] Re: Michelin Pilot Tire Pressures

I would like to share my findings with "all seasons" tires with the
DeLoreans.

The Michelin Pilot tires are the best tires for DeLorean that is currently on
the market.   IMO, they are the only way to go, for as they are the best and
finest tires for DeLoreans that I have used.   I do believe Michelin company
did their homework and they have did their research before they released the
Pilots as "dedicated" tires for the DeLoreans motorcars several years ago.
They knew about the fading market of tires for the DeLorean motorcars and they
took the quest to meet the "demands."   Kudos to them.

Before I go any further and for everyone's reference, I had the NCTs (they
came with the car and had 11,000 miles on them), Dunlops, Pirellis, two sets of
Yokohamas AVSs and the Pilots.

The NCTs that came with the DeLorean is old, hard and old technology.
Beside myself and a very good friend mine, we both had to change from the NCTs, for
they are mediocre in performance and they were   hard riding and they are
poor if not terrible in the rain and snow.   Maybe because they are old.

The Dunlops?   As for their working characteristics, they are mediocre.   I
didn't like them within the first one hundred miles of running.   I didn't like
them and I had them removed and replaced by the Pirellis as soon as I could.
The Dunlops that I had on my DeLorean had the same "performance"
characteristics and traits as the set that was on my older Bentley although they were
different models.   I also had them removed off the Bentley in less then a year of
ownership.   For me both models of the Dunlops were mushy with too much road
feel, they are not great in cornering and handling, especially with the
Bentley -- a very heavy car.

The Pirellis where excellent tires all around.   They are good in the rain
and in the snow.   I remember when I drove back from Alabama to NYC and it
started to snow lightly and then heavily from Virginia to the New Jersey turnpike.
 Getting close to NYC on the NJ Turnpike, there was an accumulation of three
inches of snow and the Pirellis handle it very well!   It was a "go" with very
little slip or slide.   Love them.   When I needed an another set of
Pirellis, they were no longer available, so I got the Yokos AVS.   The Pirellis are
only edged out by the Pilots.

The Yokos were good and they rode well, but they wore out very quickly.
They were mediocre in the rain, and they were terrible in the snow!  Useless!
IMO, they are the worst as tires for the DeLorean in the snow next to the NCTs.
  They couldn't even track in less then one inch of snow!   They slip and
slide away in the snow.   Now, some of you may be wondering why I had two sets of
the Yokos?   One of the reasons why I had two sets of them is because they
WERE the only tires available for sale on the market at that time and the other
reason is that the other tires, if they were available, they did not meet the
all of the DeLorean's specs.   So, when one can't select, then one has to
settle for what is available.   Personally, I can never get used to how the Yokos
look with the DeLorean's body line flow.   To me, they always IMO looks "fat."

The Michelin Pilots are presently on my DeLorean for over a year and they the
best that I have experienced with the DeLorean.   On dry road... they are
excellent!   They are also good in the rain and in the snow.   They are excellent
in ride comfort and handling.   They are smooth and soft riding and
responsive and they don't slip on one inch of snow as with the two sets of Yokos AVS.
It must be the new rubber compound and the engineering that is available
today?   The Pilots out performs the Yokohomas and they just "edges" over the
Pirellis, which I though was an excellent tire all around.

I don't like to put on snow tires for winter use and I normally don't run my
DeLorean in the snow.   Because I do use my DeLorean as a daily driver and
should it when it starts to rain or snow during my travels, I would like my
DeLorean or any vehicle I am in to be on the "go."   Hydroplaning and slipping on
less then one inch of snow is not good or acceptable for "all season" tires.

I hope my findings helps.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY