[DML] Re: Rusty Exhaust Manifold Studs

The po of my car ran then let the car with an exhaust leak on the
drivers side. I am doing battle with the manifold now.  The last two
studs over the engine mount did in fact break and were the cause of
the leak. When I removed the manifold they were well rusted around,
as well as between the two halves. Of course they broke just a
little recessed of the face of the block.
Upon inspecting the face of the manifold the last port where the
studs broke were not in line with the other two faces but recessed
about 1/16". I suspect the extra tension on the manifold caused the
studs to break. The face was also badly pitted. Needless to say I
had the face of the manifold ground to bring the faces all in line
and eliminate most of the pitting and hopefully the tension.
Stephen
Vin 3601

"Typically it is not the fastener that fails, the gasket blows
out........ the longer you drive with an exhaust leak the more
trouble you will have with the fasteners and you may have to have
the exhaust manifold "planed" or ground flat so it will make good
contact with the cylinder head."