[DML] Re: Spark plug problem, bad.

I have never seen a spark plug break like that before. What kind of
plug was it? I can't see from the picture if it is Bosch or Champion,
or Auotlite or what. Anyway you are going to have a lot of trouble
trying to remove it because of the "well" it is in. You would need a
LONG drill or EZ-out or whatever you are going to try to do. My best
advice would be to pull the head and take it to a machine shop. They
can try drilling it out and if necessary put a thread insert in.
Generally when you break something off in aluminum the threads are
messed up anyway either from the part being seized in the first place
or when you do remove it you wind up tearing the threads out. Always
when installing spark plugs you should use anti-seize compound to
prevent this from happening. Actually this is required on ANY steel
fastener in aluminum. If you do pull the head you could do this
yourself. Most large auto shops sell a spark plug rethreading kit. It
comes with a drill bit, a tap, a couple of inserts and a tool to
install it. They are not expensive and the only real important part is
to have the drill perfectly aligned with the hole or the spark plug
will be crooked. I don't think an ezout is going to be of any use. If
it is loose enough to remove with an ezout it would have unscrewed and
not broken.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757