[DML] Re: Fuel Pickup Hose

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jason Rowe" <rowejj@xxxx> wrote:
>          List,
>                 The last time I drove my car before putting it up
for winter it started making
> a sound from up front somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was my fuel
pickup hose but haven't
> pulled it to see yet since I really don't like being out in the
freezing cold. Anyway, I'm
> going to check it out before I get the car out again for spring and
was wondering what
> else I might check while I'm messing around in there. I've had the
car for about 3 1/2 years
> and have never messed with anything to do with the fuel system. Not
to stir a war between
> vendors but who's got the best deal on an aftermarket pickup hose?
Any precautions
> I should take before doing anything? Any advice or tips?
<SNIP>

The best advice to give would be to track down that sound first, and
find out where exactly that sound is comming from, and what is
causing it, before you buy any repalcement parts. It may be simply a
rattling fuel hose pressing up against the underbody, and a slice of
foam wedged in between would fix it.

As for who's got the best prices, your best bet is to shop around the
different vendors websites. For your general, run of mill D-Specific
parts, vendors are pretty much the same price wise, although certain
vendors will have specialty items that only they have available thru
themselves (www.pjgrady.com dressup kits, www.delorean.com
Performance Exhaust, etc...). Although I have found that for
universal items that one would need durring the course of a
restoration, John Hervey's www.specialtauto.com is pretty much
the "Spatula City" of DeLorean Parts. He's got some great prices, and
several good items to allow you to modify/simplify the fuction of
your car. Plus, I have found his Core Charges ,or in some cases, lack
there-of, a welcome asistance in expediting various repairs in the
process of my rolling restoration, and quite often, a major influence
in my purchases.

Another up and comming site is Toby Peterson's DeLorean Parts
Northwest @ www.delorean-parts.com (if I knew Darryl Tinnerstet had
so many parts, at such good prices, I probably would have bought more
from him in the past). DPNW however seems to be pretty good on their
prices in comparison to other vendors, and hopefully Toby will
continue on with his development of products. Especially that custom
bracket for the rear sway bar that he mentioned... :D

Now if you've budgeted monthly for a restoration, DMC Houston has a
customer loyalty incentive called the "Budget Restoration Program",
which will reward you with a 10% discount after you spend $1,500 with
them. Which if you're cutting your teeth on a fresh restoration,
exceeding that on your initial purchase isn't hard to do. But your
best bet is to contact them directly for full details.

Discounts are great IMO, but easing up on those core charges sure
would make things even easier!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"