[DML] Re: DeLorean steering-Alignment

In addition to everything Dave S mentions I would also add that you
should check the tire pressure, make sure you have the correct tire
size, and is the car lowered? Lowering the car will cause the camber
and the toe to go negative. Another cause of edge wear is hard
cornering. Toe can also do this but it tends to leave the side of the
tire "ragged" looking. Take the car to an alignment shop. Try to find
the one that the towns send their ambulances and police cars to. It
should be a modern electronic 4 wheel machine with lasers. Bring the
alignment specs with you. If the machine doesn't have Delorean in it's
database it can be added manually. Even if some of these parameters
are "not adjustable" sometimes you can do something by adding washers
or bending a component. In general though if these "non-adjustable"
things are out of whack it could mean bad bushings or bent parts. A
common bent part is the lower control arm. Ham-handed tow truck
operators can bend them by hooking their recovery hooks on them and
pulling on the arms and not the frame. If the problem is caused by
lowering of the car your choice is either to live with it or return
the car to it's normal   ride height. Not only will you wear out tires
fast but you also run the risk of hitting anything in the road that is
elevated like raised manholes, driveway dips, parking bumpers, etc.
For most purposes the only things that are adjustable (not counting
ride height) are toe on the front tires and thrust angle on the rear
tires. You can buy an adjustable lower link for the rear tires to
adjust rear castor but that is only really needed if you change the
rear ride height drastically. If the shop touches the rear trailing
arm bolts you may want them to replace them. You might want to get a
set of them in advance with a set of washers. Remember there should
not be more than 5 washers per side.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@xxxx> wrote:
> Not adjustable. If your view is accurate you either have worn
> suspension bushings or a bent/rusty frame. Or both.
>
> --Toe is set by the tie rod ends.
> --Caster (kingpin angle) is set by the sway bar and is not really
> adjustable (expect by maybe bending the sway bar!)
> --Camber is set by the frame construction and is not adjustable. You
> seem to be demonstrating negative camber. Good for an autocross car,
> bad for tire wear.
>
> Tire wear as you describe could be caused by any of these - an
> alignment is your best bet but be prepared to find some bad parts.
> The only adjustment in the front that the alignment guy will be able
> to do will be toe.
>
> Dave S
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > Someone please explain DeLorean steering geometry to me. I am

To visit your group on the web, go to: