[DML] Re: steering wheel play

In my experience any steering wheel play from the universal joint
may require the car to be on the ground to really see it. This is
best done by taking the inspection cover off in the spare tire well.
Be sure to watch closely because often the universal joint becomes
loose on the shaft at one end or both because the squeeze bolt
loosens. Retightening may be temporary without replacing the
prevailing-torque-nut.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> There is an easy way to figure out what is loose. Jack up the
front of
> the car to get the 2 front wheels off the ground. Use jackstands so
> you can get under the car safely. Now have a friend turn the wheel
> back and forth as you look underneath to see where one part moves
and
> another doesn't. The 2 main places to look is the steering rack
itself
> and the 2 tie rod ends at each wheel. You can also inspect the
> universal joint on the steering column. You can also have the
friend
> hold the wheel still and you can shake each wheel side to side.
There
> shoud not be much looseness at all. It is also possible that the
rack
> itself (or even the frame!) is loose. The car should not be driven
> like this. You should inspect the bushings on the upper and lower
> control arms and the sway bar too.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

[long quote trimmed by moderator]