[DML] Re: Teeny Tiny Ground wires

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> You are correct about the panels being grounded primaraly for radio
> purposes. There is another underlying reason that you should
maintain
> the bonding and grounding of the S/S panels. In the event you have a
> hot wire touch a panel it would electrify the panel and not blow any
> fuses. By maintaining the bonding and grounding a shorted wire to a
> panel would overload the circuit and blow a fuse.
<SNIP>

There is also another reason that body panels are grounded. When
going to fill the fuel tank up, touching the panels grounds you, and
will discharge any static electricity. So while you're fueling up,
you don't discharge any static electricity around gasoline fumes, and
potentially cause a fire. Which is more of a problem with todays
cars, when you have a remote fuel door release, a plastic gas cap, a
rubber handle on the gas pump, and plastic levers on the pump
triggers. Which is why the panels on gas pumps, and the underside of
the handles are exposed metal, to make sure you're fully discharged,
when you grab the pump handle properly. And of course why you're
NEVER supposed to re-enter a vehicle untill you are done fueling, as
rubbing cloth interior seats an panels will build up more static
electricity.

Useless Trivia: Recent studies have also shown that older drivers are
less at risk, as they usually grab onto the A & B pillars to pull
themselves out of cars. Where as youger drivers in trucks and SUVs
are more likely to jump out, and avoid touching any panels at all.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

To visit your group on the web, go to: