[DML] Re: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal

[DML] Re: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal

I just went thru this. At each stage I ran the fuel pump directly
from a spare battery.

Drain the old gas out of the tank. If there is any gunk in the bottom
stop, take everything out, and clean it up with Acetone (yuck). Put
it all back together with good parts and pump.

Disconnect the fuel filter. Running the pump, run gas out the hose
that goes into the filter.

Hook the filter back up (replace it!), run gas out where the hose
hooks to the fuel distributor.

Tie the inlet and return lines together at the fuel distributor. (I
used an old fuel pump to make this connection, using the double banjo
bolt from the outlet side of the fuel distributor).

Unhood the return line at the tank. Run fuel back thru the return
line. When you are satisfied that it's clear hook everything back up.

At this point all the lines have been flushed and you only have the
FI system to deal with. In the case of the car I'm working on (stored
for 15+ years without running) the ONLY salveageable parts of the
entire FI system were 3 of the injectors. EVERYTHING else, including
tank, pump, boot, CPR, Frequency Valve, the other 3 injectors, and
Fuel distributor was junk. Frozen solid as if filled with glue.

Moral of the story - if you think that there is any chance that you
are going to park it for a long period of time, store it dry. In mean
really dry.

Also - as a point of reference, the car I got all the replacement
parts from has not run in 2 1/2 years and everything is fine. On the
15-year car, anything in the fuel system smelled exactly like paint
thinner instead of gasoline.

Disposing of the old gas - depending on how old (if it still smells
like gas you're OK) dilute it with fresh gas and use it in your
lawnmower. The really old stuff is a bigger problem, contact your
local EPA office.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83@xxxx> wrote:
> The D that I purchaced recently was stored with gas in the tank and
> as a precautionary measure I wanted to flush it out the fuel
system.
> I am pretty sure I know how to do this but I wanted to double
check.
> What I was going to do was to pump in fresh gas through one end and
> collect what ever comes out on the other side. Can any one give me
> some tips on the best way to flush. Also where can I bring this
fuel
> afterwards to be disposed of? Thanks for the help.
>

> Jason
> # 2256

To visit your group on the web, go to: