      1. RE: Cooling fans and the ignition
           From: Joe Angell <jangell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. The DMC Story
           From: "Warren & Heather" <hnwwoodzell@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. WHO IS THIS MAN?
           From: ROBLAMROCK@xxxxxxx
      4. Throttle Linkage Cable Troubles
           From: Sean Mulligan <sean_mulligan@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. DeLorean wanted
           From: casey barlow <dmc1288mph@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. looking for owner;s and tech manuals..
           From: "dsstriker" <dsstriker@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Throttle Linkage Cable Troubles
           From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: DeLorean wanted
           From: Enid <hispanicangeleyes@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Rough day on the Rally
           From: "schab932000" <schab932000@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Wacky Delorean Sighting
           From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxxxxxx>
     11. RE: DeLorean wanted
           From: <krasniy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: DeLorean wanted
           From: advantics@xxxxxxx

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:40:20 -0700
   From: Joe Angell <jangell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cooling fans and the ignition

>  Let's say I take the car out for the day. During my trip it gets hot
>  enough that the cooling fans come on. At this point, if you turn the
>  car off and then try to turn it back on again, it won't start.
>  ( You mean won't start or won't turn over like the power is gone. (
> Were the
>  fans turned on by the otterstat or the AC compressor.)
>
>  I noticed that while the ignition is tripped,
>
>  ( Does tripped mean on or is the key in the off position.)

Sorry, I mean when trying to start the car, as in you've turned the key
all the way to the spring-returned key position to turn the starter.

>  everything is off in the car -- except the cooling fans. More often
> than not,
>  the solution is to pull open the relay compartment and pull out the
> cooling fan
>  relay; the car starts right up then
>
>   ( was the AC compressor clutch engauged when this happened.)

The AC itself is most always running in my car (yeay, California).  If
you try to start the car with the AC on, the cooling fans will turn off
so the starter can turn.

If the fans are on because the car is too hot, then the cooling fans
will stay on when you try to start the car, thus drawing to much power
and keeping the starter from turning over (as far as I can tell).

>   I've also noticed that on the other cars I've owned, the cooling fans
>  stay on when the car is off if it is still too hot. I notice this does
>  not happen on the DeLorean; the fans go off with the car. Is this
>  normal?
>
>  ( This feature wasn't built into the Delorean. If they were to stay
> on any
>  length of time to do anything major good, the coolant would be in the
>  radiator only because the water pump is no longer turning to
> circulate the
>  coolant and the thermostat is closed. Also the newer cooling fans
> only draw
>  1/2 the current that the Delorean 28 amps do. It wouldn't take long
> to draw
>  a marginal battery down so the car wouldn't start.)

Good point.  I was wondering about battery drain if they ran, and
didn't even think about how far the fans are from the engine.  Figured
I should check just to be sure.

>   Also, my relays seem to get quite hot, so it looks like I'll be
>  tightening the sockets this weekend.
>
>  ( Which relay's are getting hot.)

The fan ones were particularly hot; I noticed them because I tinker
with them the most.  I still had the original fan fail relay until a
couple weeks ago.  There's a three-way jumper in there now until my
Fanzilla comes this week.  I tightened all the sockets as per
www.deloreanparts.com, but have yet to see if that's making a
difference with the heat.

Unfortunately, my auto trans just decided to stop working, so I haven't
been able to look at this any more yet.  Boy those things are pricey.

Thanks for the assistance.

-- Joe

Message: 2