           From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      2. Re: Door locks
           From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@xxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:11:55 +0000
   From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  re:Engine Swaps and tranny Questions (Buick Version-LONG)

> ---On Rich's car, the transmission had failed in a somewhat common DMC
> manner, i.e. the large nut that holds the main shaft together unscrewed
> itself through the back end of the shift housing. I've seen this failure
on
> several stock cars so I'm not sure it was related to the high
horsepower,

I had this problem too, and it was thanks to Dave that it was quickly
diagnosed and easily fixed - new nut and a bit of ally welding locally.
However in conversation with my engine guy - Renault fanatic and veteran
of working on many many PRVs (including his own Renault 30 - identical
gearbox), was told that he had never seen this failure. This runs through
low powered R25's and 30s right up to the 400+hp Alpine A610's. According
to Stainless Steel Illusion, no assembly was done at the DMC plant except
for the underbodies, yet it was Darren's guess that our DMC gearboxes were
not assembled correctly (the nut that comes loose has a flange that is
meant to be bent down into the flat on the shaft to prevent it coming
loose). Given what he thought of the engine tuning procedures stated in
the DMC manual, has repeated many times that he thinks Renault were trying
to "stitch DMC up"....

FWIW my gearbox nut went back on with Loctite AND properly bent flange.

Martin

Message: 2