      1. Re: Does a tune-up ever go right? Not when I do it...
           From: "cdrugly" <tgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Workshop Manual
           From: "cpgny9" <cpgny9@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. EFI Custom Intake Winter Project
           From: "jwit6dmc12" <jwit6@xxxxxx>
      4. steering wheel bounce/determinig speedometer problem
           From: "cpgny9" <cpgny9@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. intermittent signal indicators
           From: Soma576@xxxxxxx

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 01:26:12 -0000
   From: "cdrugly" <tgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Does a tune-up ever go right? Not when I do it...

Joe,

Thanks for the heads up. It has helped me diagnose the problem. See
what you think:

I took the solenoid off and repaired the broken electrical connection
and still got the same results. As long as I don't really hammer down
on the accleration, the car will accelerate fine. At around 65, it's
like a swift kick in the ass as the car takes off.

With the solenoid repaired, I checked the timing again. I found that
it was advanced almost 25 degrees. How it was even starting, I have
no idea. So, I checked the vacuum coming from the solenoid, and it
did exist, even at idle. According to D:08:01, the microswitch should
energize the solenoid and close off the vacuum when the throttle
plate is closed.

When I disconnected the line to the distributor vacuum advance, the
timing returned to 13 degrees.

Hmmm. So, it looks like the thermal vacuum control valve is open
correctly (the only reason it would close would be for emissions, I
assume) and is sending vacuum to the solenoid. With the solenoid
stuck open, there is a vacuum during idle causing the 10 degree over-
advance. I'm thinking the solenoid is hosed.

So, did I do good?

--- As a side note, I noticed the when the vacuum is disconnected and
tested the timing, pulling on the throttle advanced the timing.
Question is, does the D utilize mechanical (centrifugal) advance as
well as vacuum advance?

Thanks for the advice,

Travis
3512