[DML] Open Message Re: Flame Mail Off List

[DML] Open Message Re: Flame Mail Off List

Moderators may not realize this, but there is a significant amount of
flame mail sent directly to members off list. I receive at least one
per week. My recent CIS post generated 3.

These messages really aren't worth reading, but I do anyway. Doing so,
I've noticed several universal characteristics among them, no matter
the sender:
- The tone is stunningly negative. Some are written in all caps.
Exclamation points are by far the most popular punctuation symbol.
- They depend exclusively on ad homimem character attacks vs reasoned
logic, empirical evidence, etc.
- The sender ALWAYS claims to be writing on behalf of either the
entire DML, or the entire DeLo owning community.
- They usually conclude with an admonition to either never post to the
DML again, or sell the car.

I've also noticed that the frequency of such messages is increasing,
and worry this is symptomatic of a general shift towards negativity
pervading our entire culture.

I would like to remind all flame mail senders of the following:
- Every message to the DML is approved by a moderator. If you feel a
message was allowed in error, the moderator is the person to complain
to. Obviously the poster meant for it to be posted.
- Attacking a person's character is only useful if his or her
character is the focus of your argument. A person's character has
absolutely no effect on metal objects, electrical circuits,
lubricating fluids, etc.
- The best way to speak on behalf of the DML would be a survey open to
all members. I have no idea how to speak on behalf of the entire
global DeLorean owning community.
- In the end, a person's car is his or her own property to use as he
or she wishes. Your right to dictate usage ends where his or her hood
begins.

The CIS vs CI thread was closed just as I found a flat bed scanner in
town to upload some factory manual pages! I am going to upload them to
#5939's photo album anyway for these other historically interesting
reasons:
- A 1979 CI page clearly shows that Lamda was not used at that time,
even on North American imports.
- A 1983 CIS page explains the funny "shear head" balancing screws
used on later intake manifolds.
- I will upload a page showing the auxilliary air valve used for fast
idle before CIS was developed.
Look for them later tonight.

There's an old saying down South: you catch more flies with honey than
you do with vinegar. It means: you are more persuasive with a
tastefully executed argument than a bitter one. Something to remember
the next time a flame mailer wishes to respond to a DML post. If the
response is tasteful enough, the moderator may even let if through for
everyone to see.

Bill Robertson

To visit your group on the web, go to: