Re: [DMCForum] Engine swaps / upgrades

Let me start this off my saying YAHOO FUCKING SUCKS..
I wrote a whole long response, then the new Yahoo
spell checker deleted it.  Nice, eh?

--- Ryan Wright wrote:

<SNIP>

> Question: Why did you rule out a V8?

Too big, for one.   All of the V8 swaps I have seen
require that fiberglass be cut to make it fit.  One of
the project parameters was to have little to no
modification to any DMC parts.

<SNIP>

> True. I suppose I could pull it off. It would
> require a lot of
> research, you're right. I'm not familiar with all of
> the various
> engines & transmissions available, so I can't just
> pick out of my
> head, "Oh, well, x might mate with y, and -
> actually, it would be
> better to use z because, ...". It would be a long
> process. :)

Why can't you?  That is how it is done..  Put together
a combination that you like, then research it to see
if you can make it work..  As the process evolves, so
does your knowledge of all the components involved.  I
have spent HUNDREDS of hours doing this in the past 5
years....  Or wait for someone else to do it, and copy
them.

<SNIP>

> Wow. That's a beautiful thing. Makes me want to do a
> Northstar swap
> even more. Looks like a nice installation. Who did
> this, again? Also
> looks like that car was for sale - did he ever sell
> it?

The guys name was "Richard Cutter" outfit was
"American Custom Engines".  He only built the one car,
and offered to do it for anyone who brought him a
DeLorean and $20,000!!  I believe he sold the car, and
is no longer in business.

If you do some google searching for it, you will
probably dig up some more information and old DML
posts.

<SNIP>

> I'm guessing such a conversion would run $10k-$20k,
> mostly in labor.

I don't know what Don would charge for a conversion.

> That's a little out of my budget. I was thinking I
> could pull off a
> Northstar swap for +/- $6-8k if I did the work
> myself. Plus, I'd know
> the car inside and out, which is important if I'm
> going to service it.

You probably could.

> > Did you read what I wrote after this??  about the
> > VQ35?
>
> Yep. Sounds like it would be a nice swap. I've just
> got the itch for
> more. A 250hp DeLorean sounds neat, but I drove a
> Fiero with nearly
> that much power every day for a couple of years.
> While fun, it quickly
> wears off. It's not "amazing" powerful. It's just
> peppy.

You can build a 400HP VQ35 pretty easy.  Plenty of
aftermarket stuff for it.  Even forged pistons, and
stroker kits!!  The supercharger claims to add 55%
horse power, that is just about 400HP.

The advantage of what I am doing is I will get the car
to run on the stock VQ35.  And when the 260HP is no
longer making me smile, I can slowly shop for
aftermarket performance parts designed for the G35,
350Z, or Maxima and bolt them to my DeLorean!

If I feel a little crazy, I can get forced
induction...   If I feel a lot crazy, the stroker kit!